Extracts from Newspapers

The first 4 items are copied from Philip Horrobins book of 1875 & relate to Chapel & Fernilee. Other items have been kindly sent by David & Anne Bailey; Cynthia Kimpton; Dawn Allen & Michael Scowcroft.   The papers these items are taken from are not always known.

1. Interrment of Mr Wm & Mr Norman BENNETT

2. Overseers of the Poor for 1884

3. Will of the late Mr. JODRELL

4. Fernilee Gunpowder Manufacturing Company

5. Funeral of Mr Jack WRIGHT: 22 March 1955

6.  Funeral of Mrs Edith JODRELL: 9 Sept 1957


8. Ninety not out! Mrs Mary Jane FLETCHER

9. The Behive at Combs: 25 Mar 1938

10. Funeral of the late Mr Job FORD of Dove Holes

11. Death & Funeral of Mrs RAVEN

12. Marriage of Miss Elsie Hulme & Mr John Wright 1921

13. Funeral of Mr Hulme at Fernilee 1937

14. Landslip at Whaley Bridge 1905

15. Funeral of Messrs Walker and Woolley killed in the landslip 1905

1. April 1879 The remains of Mr. Wm BENNETT, aged 82, and his son Mr. Norman BENNETT who died on the 16th instant at Chapel en le Frith, were interred at Chinley Independent graveyard, near Chapel en le Frith, on Tuesday.  The funeral was attended by the local magistrates, the trustees of the bank, the various societies, the guardians of the Union, the police, and others.



Chapel en le Frith Special Sessions

Thursday April 3rd 1884

[Before W.H.G. BAGSHAW; H.C. RENSHAW and Major TURNER]

Appointment of Overseers

The following gentlemen were appointed overseers of the poor for the various townships in the division:-

Aston - Adam BARBER and Jos. DALTON

Bamford - Jonathan Mort HASLAM and Jno BARKER

Brough and Shatton - Hurry EYRE and Jonathan BARKER

Bradwell - Robt TANFIELD and Stephen DAKIN

Beard, Ollersett, Whittle & Thornsett - Abel GRUNDY and William WILD

Castleton - Isaac ASHTON and Henry ASHTON

Chapel en le Frith - Joseph HEATHCOTT; Jos. LOMAS and Robert BAGSHAW

Chinley, Bugsworth and Brownside - Wm. ASHBY and J.C. BRADDOCK

Derwent - Wm. OATES and Jonathan COTTRILL

Edale - Stephen CRICKSON amd A.H. GEE

Fernilee - P. HORROBIN and Jos. HALLAM

Hope - Thomas EYRE and Jesse WAIN

Hope Woodlands - Isaac LONGDEN and Jonathan EYRE

Hayfield - Fred. TURNER and Abel Buckley WINPENNY

Peak Forest - Nathaniel John BOWER and John HAMBLETON

Thornhill - John WILSON and J.W. ANDREW


3. Will of the Late Mr. JODRELL

The value has been sworn at £215,593 of the personal estate of the late Mr. Thomas Jodrell Phillips JODRELL, of Shallcross Hall, Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, and Yeardsley, Cheshire, who died on the 3rd September last, aged 82 years, and who was the son of the late Mr. Shakspere PHILLIPS, of Manchester, having assumed the name JODRELL in 1868 under the will of his cousin, the late Mr. John William JODRELL, of Shallcross Hall, and Yeardsley.  By his Will dated 24th May 1878, the testator devises all his real estate near Manchester and elsewhere to his great nephew Colonel Edward Thomas Davenant COTTON, of Nantwich, but charged with the payment of £5000 to his cousin, Mr John Locke STRATTON, to whom he bequeaths a further £5000 from his residuary personal estate.  The testator`s books, pictures, and ornamental china are to devolve as heirlooms and the estate entailed under the will of his late cousin, Mr. J.W. JODRELL, so long as the estate remains with the descendants of the testator`s maternal grandmother.  He bequeaths all his railway stocks and shares and his debenture stocks, but not debenture bonds, to pay the income thereof for life to his sister Frances Maria, on her death to pay the income for life to his niece Elizabeth THACKWELL, and her death to hold the same in trust for her children; and all the residue of his personal estate, subject to the legacy of £5000 to Mr. STRATTON, the testator leaves upon the same trusts as the railway stocks and shares and debenture stocks.


4. Fernilee Gunpowder Manufacturing Company

The registration of "WILLIAMSON and Company" is announced.  This is the conversion into a joint-stock company of the business of gunpowder manufacture, carried on by Mr. James Hall WILLIAMSON, at Fernilee, in the county of Derby, and at Goits Clough, township of Taxal, in the county of Chester.  The purchase consideration is £2,050 in cash, and £950 in fully paid shares.  The company was registered the 22nd ultimo with a capital of £6,000, in £50 shares.  The subscribers are:-

G.W. HEGINBOTHAM, Whaley Bridge, barytes manufacturer                          17 shares

J.H. WILLIAMSON, Fernilee near Buxton, gunpowder manufacturer                 1 share

Arthur SHELDON, Macclesfield, land surveyor                                                    17 shares

Edward HALL, Whaley Bridge, bleacher                                                                 17 shares

John Thomas SHELDON, Kettleshulme, Cheshire, cotton spinner                     16 shares

E.P. SHELDON, Kettleshulme, Cheshire  , cotton spinner                                    16 shares

J. GOODWIN, Macclesfield, stationer                                                                     17 shares

The number of directors is not to be less than five nor more than seven.  The subscribers are appointed first directors.  Qualification ten shares. The company in general meeting will determine remuneration.  Mr. WILLIAMSON is appointed managing director, and during his first year will be paid a salary at the rate of 1s for every barrel of gunpowder produced by the company.  His subsequent remuneration will be such as may be from time to time determined upon by the board.


 Funeral of Mr. Jack WRIGHT - March 22 1955

 The funeral took place on Saturday at Fernilee Methodist Church of Mr. Jack Wright, of Elnor Avenue, Whaley Bridge, whose death was reported last week. The Rev. J. H. Stanfield conducted the service in the church. Mrs Wallace was organist.

Mourners included: Mr Alan Wright, Miss Mavis Wright, Mr Gordon Wright, Mr and Mrs A Grundy, Mr Brian Wright, sons and daughters: Mr Dennis Grundy, Mr and Mrs R Wright, Mr and Mrs W. Wright, Miss Eva Wright, Mr and Mrs I. Wigley, Mr Hurley, Miss Fielding, Mr and Mrs J. Mason, Mr and Mrs W. Hulme, Mrs G Joule, Mr and Mrs F. Hulme, Mr and Mrs H Jodrell, Mr and Mrs G Hulme, Mr Percy Hulme. Mrs Wright (widow of the deceased) is in hospital and unable to be present.

Bearers were Messrs M Ferguson, J Bailey, P. Bagshaw, F. Pearson and Stan Flint (work mates from Mevril Springs Bleachworks).

Mr D. E. Bowler, of the Cooperative Funeral Service, had charge of the arrangements.


 Funeral of Mrs Edith JODRELL - September 9 1957

Mrs Edith Jodrell, wife of Mr Harry Jodrell, of Buxton Road, Whaley Bridge, died in hospital on Monday. Aged 63, Mrs Jodrell was formly a Miss Hulme, of Botany Cottage, Horwich End, and had a lifelong association with Whaley Bridge Methodist Church. The funeral was at Fernilee Methodist Church on Wednesday, conducted by Rev. J. B. Eade, following a short service at the house conducted by Mr Spencer Hurst. Mourners: Mr Jodrell, Mr Vernon Jodrell, Mrs Joule, Mr and Mrs W. Hulme, Mr and Mrs F Hulme, Mr and Mrs G. Hulme, Mr P. Hulme, Mrs Simpson, Miss Mavis Wright, Miss C. Wright, Mr and Mrs A Jodrell, Mr and Mrs Spencer Hurst. Also present were Mr I. E. Hill and Mrs F. Bagshaw, who played the organ. Floral tributes; Harry and Vernon: Elsie, Alan and Mavis; Emma and Frank; Fred and Ethel; Nellie and Percy; May, Marion, Marjorie and Harry; George, Dorothy and family; Doris and June; Louie and Will; Bessie, Albert, Teddy and Ruth; Carrie, Harry and Mary; Mrs Quinn and family; Marjorie, Ruth and Mrs Clayton; Jessie and Willie; May, Eva and Fairbanks, Cousins Annie, Ethel, Gertie and May. Mary Galpin and Daisy Bray; Mr and Mrs J. Goddard; Brian, Dorothy and family, Grace, Arthur and Dennis; Gordon, Mary and Sheenagh; Mrs Nellie Thomasson and family; Mrs T Oldham; Mr and Mrs C Worsencroft. Arrangements by Messrs J.Williamson and Sons.



No date 

We much regret to announce the death of Mrs. Gosselin-Grimshaw, of Errwood Hall, which took place on Sunday.  Aged 77.  Mrs. Gosselin-Grimshaw had been abroad this winter and seemed much better in health when she returned.  She became ill, however, and died as stated.  She was the last and oldest of the Grimshaws of Errwood Hall. Like other members of the family she was a devout member of the Roman Catholic Church.  The family gave the ground for the building of the Catholic Church at Whaley Bridge, besides being generous in other ways.  Nobody in want ever appealed in vain to Mrs. Gosselin-Grimshaw for help. She and her late sister gave the land on which Fernilee Village Hall is built, and also opened the Hall.  Though she spent much time travelling abroad she was always keenly interested in Whaley Bridge and helped many causes.  Much regret is expressed at the passing of the last of the Grimshaws, especially by those who have been accustomed to go to Errwood Hall and experienced the fine hospitality and generosity of the family.  The Grimshaws have long had their private catholic Chapel at Errwood, and also their private burial ground.  The interment of Mrs. Gosselin-Grimshaw took place on Wednesday in the private burial ground at Errwood Hall.  The Requiem Mass was sung by Father O’Brian, and others assisting were the Prior of the Dominican Priory at Pendleton.  Father McGurie and Father Conroy, of Whaley Bridge, Father Grimes, the priest at Errwood Hall, gave a beautiful address touching on the Christian life and character of Mrs. Gosselin-Grimshaw and said that in her last days her thoughts were for the comfort of those she was leaving behind.  Amongst those present were Lady Gerard, Mrs. Medlicott, Miss Esme Preston, Miss A. Preston (nieces), Mr. and Mrs. Gaskell (cousins, Ingersley Hall, Bollington), Miss Byrne, Mrs. Eyrd, Mrs. Vaughan, Mrs. Boak, Mrs. Scholes, Miss Imbrey.  Bearers were mostly tenants of the estate and workmen.  Many of the staff of Errwood Hall were present at the last and very impressive obsequies.  A large number of floral tributes were on the grave.



Primrose Day Birthday

No date

Sitting by the fire at the home of her Daughter in Holly-street, Gorton, I found Mrs Mary Jane Fletcher, with friends who had congratulated her on attaining her 90th birthday (writes a “Reporter” representative).  It was Tuesday (Primrose Day) and among the many flowers she received was a bunch of primroses.

“I remember the day when our back garden was made beautiful by the flower,” she said “but that was when our home was in Derbyshire.” Mrs Fletcher was a daughter of Mr. Jodrell, of Fernilee, and lived there for many years.  Upon her marriage she lived for a time at Compstall, and later at Romiley, coming to Gorton 45 years ago. She had been a widow some 30 years.

Mrs. Fletcher is predeceased by nine of her eleven children. She has 17 grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren.  Two of her brothers, Mr Henry and Mr Jonathan Jodrell, live at Whaley Bridge, and the former has, until recently, served on the local council.


For the last eight years Mrs. Fletcher has been blind, but until this affliction led an active life.  “I was never idle a day until then” she said.  Mrs. Fletcher was an ardent worker at Greave Fold P.M. Church Romiley, and at Wellington Street, Gorton.  She has always been greatly respected, and claims she never made an enemy in her life.


Hard work and not worrying over trifles is her advice to those who want long life.

Mrs. Fletcher lives with her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. E Hardy.  Mr. Hardy, a former president of Gorton Free Church Council is well-known in the district, particularly in religious work.  At one time there were four generations in Holly-street but one is now dead.

About Christmas Mrs. Fletcher was ill with influenza and has never fully recovered the good health she enjoyed previously.  Up to the end of last year she was about by 8 a.m. and was about the house 12 hours or more. Now she rises a little later and retires earlier.




There must be many readers who remember the Beehive (Combs) as one of the jolliest of inns during a long period when a genial Scotsman as landlord entertained hosts of friends.

And what a free house it was!  Free in every way!  One could rub shoulders with the world and his dog in a bar that was strongly democratic, a bar in which men of distinction have met.  Motorists, cyclists and ramblers gathered there; jolly parties would be found in one room, table tennis in another, then one could look in at the kitchen and enjoy a few words with the landlords pleasant daughters.  The whole place was alive with good cheer.  You could just do what you liked, “have” what you liked, and talk as you liked.  It didn’t matter what you did so long as you behaved yourself. 

To-day the Beehive, under new management is trying hard and sincerely to carry on that old friendly tradition on up-to-date lines.  All are warmly received, excellent fare is provided, and everything done to ensure comfort and cheerfulness.  The entire place has been modernised, the large room beyond the front door contains two huge stone fireplaces with stone hearths and beams are now over the ceilings.  Groups of small tables are laid for afternoon tea (which is delicious, by the way), or luncheons and dinners.  The bar looks just like – a bar, and has not been spoiled in the alterations. 

I mention these facts because of the great change from the old to the new, but outside there remain the plain stone fabric and windows in the pleasant surroundings of Combs village, as well as the fine inside (of bees round a hive), painted by Mr. T. C. Dugdale Outside, also, I observed swell cars, including the Rolls-Royce.   It can be truly said that the new and cheery landlord of to-day meets patrons his predecessor never saw.  One wonders if well-known business men, journalists, and artists are still among them?--FJC




On Monday an inquest was held by Mr. Sydney Taylor in the Board Room of the Devonshire Hospital, Buxton, touching the death of Robert Bailey, who received injuries on the line between Chapel-en-le-Frith and Combs on the 1st of April.

Mr.Wheatcroft was appointed foreman.  The Coroner observed that Mr. H.E.Newbold, who had been summoned as a juryman, was not present. 

The Inspector of Police said he warned him to be there.

The Coroner: I shall fine him 10s. 6d. .. and leave him afterwards to explain the matter if he can.

The company was represented by Inspector Scott and Mr. Gould.  

Hannah Bailey, Combs, said she had lived with the deceased (her brother) all her life at the Beehive Inn.  He was the holder of the licence, and worked as a platelayer on the London and North Western Railway.  The deceased was 48 years of age.

The Coroner: Superintendent Gill tells me he had latterly only temporary authority.

Witness said about nine p.m. on the 1st inst. She saw him last alive.  He was going with his brother to meet the 9.35 train to Manchester.

People generally used the cinder path to and from Chapel-en-le-Frith station.  Deceased was perfectly sober, and was, generally speaking, a steady man.  There had been a settling up on the day in question.  Deceased had not had much to drink.  She expected him back about ten o’clock, and when he did not come she went nearly to the station to look for him along the cinder walk.  She was looking for him till three in the morning.  She then came to the conclusion that deceased had gone with his brother to Miles Platting.  Next morning,at six o’clock, she heard he had been nearly killed on the railway.  She went and found him in the station waiting room.  Dr. Anderson saw him about 6.30.  She remained until he was taken to Buxton.  The doctor did what he could for the deceased. 

William Bailey, 5, Horrock Street, Miles Platting, said he was a porter.  On the date named he saw his brother.  They walked up the cinder walk from Combs to the station.  When they got to the level crossing deceased set off back again, and witness went forward to the platform.  He kept on the lower side, as if he was going on the cinder path.  That was the last he saw of him ten minutes or a quarter of an hour before the train came.  Deceased was quite sober.  He (witness) would go along the cinder path as being the quickest way.

By Superintendent Gill: It was dark when he left him.  He could not see him far away.  

By the Coroner: Did not know what money he had.

By Superintendent Gill: They called at the Kings Arm’s on Thursday after the Court, and for five minutes at the Hanging Gate and at the cottage at Combs.

Robert Barton, platelayer, Combs said he was going to his work at twenty minutes past five in the morning in question and saw deceased lying in the six foot.  His head was towards the Chapel-en-le-Frith Station.  He was lying on his back and his hands in front of him.  His feet were about four or six inches from the rail on the up line.  Deceased could not speak.  His jacket was all over frost, and he appeared to be very cold.  He noticed a wound on the head and a lot of blood.  Witness spoke to him twice.  It was about 200 yards from the station that the deceased was discovered.  He (witness) went for the stationmaster, who came.  They got a barrow and placed him on and took him to the station where he was put on a seat in the waiting room.  The porter was sent for Dr. Anderson – that was immediately they got the deceased to the waiting room. 

By Superintendent Gill:  The mail had gone up.

By the Foreman: He should think the wound was not caused by a fall.  

Harry Duckworth, stationmaster, Chapel-en-le-Frith, stated that the last witness knocked him up at 5.30 o’clock, and he went with him to the spot named and found the deceased in the position described by the last witness.  There was a wound on the back of the head and a pool of blood by the side.  He was taken to the waiting-room at the station.  He appeared very cold but breathed hard.  The doctor was sent for and arrived about a quarter to seven o’clock.  He attended to the deceased and remained until the 8.23 train, by which the deceased was taken to Buxton.  The doctor advised his being removed at once to the Hospital, and two policemen accompanied him.  He did not see the deceased on the night named.  He (witness) would rather walk along the cinder path than by the railway.  The path was parallel with the railway. 

By Superintendent Gill: It was scarcely likely for him to be knocked by an engine where he lay.  

By the Coroner: After the 9.35 train to Manchester there were only goods trains.  There were several goods trains.

By a juryman: There was the midnight train coming upwards.

The Coroner to Inspector Scott: Have you had any report from the cleaning sheds?

Inspector Scott: No Sir, nothing has been found.

The Coroner said there were plenty of trains going by, but they could not identify any one in connection with this matter. 

Police sergeant Smith said he arrived at the station at 7.15 a.m.  He entered the waiting room with the doctor.  Deceased was lying on the seat.  The doctor cut the hair from the wound and washed it.  The man was apparently dying.  He accompanied him to Buxton by the 8.23 train.  The stretcher had been taken up from the Police Station.  He found £4.  4s. 81/2d. and a silver lever watch and neck guard in the possession of the deceased.  On the right cheek was a bruise and on the heel an abrasion.  The coat (produced) was ripped down, and the cap, which was saturated by blood, was not on the deceased’s head.

By the Foreman: Deceased was a man of temperate habits – a very quiet man.  There were marks on the cloth as if deceased had been struck by iron.

Miss Bailey, re-called, said deceased would have about £4 odd on him.  

Richard Dennington Fisher, assistant house surgeon, said deceased was admitted to the hospital on Friday shortly, before 9a.m. He was seen by Dr. Dent, Mr. A. Shipton, and himself.  They decided that an operation was necessary and about quarter to twelve o’clock they trephined him.  The man died about 9.40 at night.  It was practically looked upon as a hopeless case.  Deceased was never conscious.  The chief injury was on the head.  There was a large fracture with scalp wound.  The impression was that the injury must have been caused by great violence, and if caused by a fall onto some very sharp thing.  He meant a fall from some height.  Something in motion would cause it.  There was a large bruise between and just below the shoulders.  There was nothing else of importance.  The fracture of the scull was the cause of death. 

Superintendent Gill: That is all the evidence we can produce.  

The Coroner, in summing up, said the evidence did not enable them to say how the fracture came about.  The probability was the man had been struck by a passing train.  So far as they knew of his movements he had no occasion to be on the railway, for the way between the station and Combs was by the cinder path. 

The Foreman of the Jury said it seemed to him that death was due to an accident.  

The Jury returned a verdict “Died from fracture of the scull caused on the London and North-Western Railway,” but there is no evidence to show how it was caused.


 The late Mr JOB FORD of Dove Holes 

 High Peak News 22 MARCH 1924

  It is with profound regret that we record the death of Mr Job Ford, one of the stalwarts of local Nonconformity, which occurred on Thursday morning of last week. He was one of the most highly esteemed men in Dove Holes, and his passing has cast a gloom over the village, among his fellow workmen at the Buxton Lime Firms Co's quarry, and his co-workers at the Dove Holes Primitive  Methodist church.

The deceased gentleman who was 61 years of age, was the superintendent of the Primitive Methodist Church Sunday School, a trustee of the church, junior circuit steward, and had been a local preacher in the Bradwell Primitive Methodist circuit for over 40 years. His was a magnificent record of church   service, and at the recent quarterly meeting of the circuit his work was eulogised, and it was decided to present him with an illuminated address, the presentation being made on the Monday before Mr Ford died, by the Rev. H Land.

In the early years of his service as local preacher Mr Ford walked hundreds of miles owing to the difficulties of transport. In addition Mr Ford had been president for 21 years of the Dove Holes Co-operative Society, and chairman of the Dove Holes Institute.

The funeral took place on Monday afternoon, and an indication of the esteem in which he was held was provided by the fact that the workers at the local quarries commenced work earlier in order to be able to attend the funeral.  There were many manifestations of sorrow, the blinds on the route from the deceased's house to the burial ground being lowered.

The service held at the church prior to the internment was a deeply impressive one, and was conducted in the presence of a crowded congregation by the Rev H Land, assisted by the Rev J Hancock and the Rev W H Mason. Mr Aaron Slack of Tideswell, presided at the organ, and the hymns "Give me the wings of faith to rise" and "Rock of Ages" were sung.

The Rev H Land, in the course of the address, paid a high tribute to the life and work of Mr Ford, and said he left an example that they all ought to follow. His place, in the church and in the circuit, would be very hard to fill.

The cortege was headed by about thirty local preachers of the Bradwell circuit, and many of the deceased's co-members of the Dove Holes Lodge of the Local Order of Ancient Shepherds were also present. The committal service was read by the Rev J Hancock.The mourners were Mrs Ford (widow), Annie, Hilda, Ernest, Marion, Lionel, Jack, Mr and Mrs John Ford, Mr and Mrs Gibson, Wilfrid, Job, Mr Wm Howe, Mr John Howe, Mr F A Holmes (Buxton) Mrs Walker, Mrs Hawley, Mrs Harratt, Mrs Standring, Mr John Howe, Mr Samuel Hy. Howe, Mr J W Howe, Mrs Marchington, Mr and Mrs J Howe, Mr and Mrs Jas Wilson, Mr and Mrs Geo. Hill, Mr and Mrs Bramwell, Mr and Mrs William Vernon, Mr and Mrs Robert Vernon, Mr and Mrs Hopwood, senr., Mr Hick, Mr Warhurst, Mr Jas Jackson, Mr John Barker, Mr Chas Marshall, Mr James Ford, Mrs Moss, Mrs Hopwood and Mrs   Oldfield.

The churches in the ciruit were represented as follows:- Tideswell: Messrs Jabez Slack, Wilfred Slack, T W Tinlady, W H Furness, Mrs A Bennett, Mrs H Jackson, Mrs W Firth, Mrs G Garside. Bradwell: Messrs L Morton (senior circuit steward) J Elliott, Mrs C Sanderson, and Mrs P Rowland. Castleton: Messrs J Plunkett and A Adams; Cressbrook: Mrs R Lomas and Mrs J Hibbert. Whitehough: Mr and Mrs G Watson, Mrs E Horrox and Mrs J Hadfield. Bugsworth: Messrs E Rogers and J Longson. Chapel-en-le-Frith: Mr and Mrs G H Chapman and Mrs Wilshaw.

The bearers were Messrs Ernest Goddard, Wm Stockton, M Barton, W Pearson, J Phillips, JasTomlinson, T Hoyle and J Shirt.

The following is a list of floral tributes:- Harp, in loving memory of a dear husband, father and grandad. Wreath:- in loving remembrance from brother and sister, and Edith (Hazel Grove).  In loving memory from all at Colwyn Bay; From Mr and Mrs Walker and family. In loving memory from Wilfred and Job. In loving memory from John and Polly.



An old and esteemed resident of Fernilee passed away on Tuesday morning in the person of Mrs. Raven, widow of Mr. J. Raven.  Aged 71, Mrs. Raven had been in poor health for some time.  She was particularly well known in the hamlet where she had a small shop and made teas.  Her maiden name was Lomas and she spent all her long working life in this district.   Mrs. Raven was associated with the Wesleyan Chapel in Fernilee.  She leaves a son and daughter.  One of her sons was killed in an explosion at Fernilee Gunpowder Mills.  The funeral takes place to-morrow (Saturday) at Fernilee Wesleyan Chapel.


The funeral took place on Saturday at Fernilee Wesleyan burial ground of the late Mrs. Raven of Fernilee, whose death has been noticed.  Rev. A.C. Baker, superintendent minister, officiated.  Mourners were: Mr. and Mrs. J. Raven (son and daughter-in-law), Mr. and Mrs. H. Southern (daughter and son-in-law), Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Nadin (sister and brother-in-law),  Mrs. Deacan,  Mrs. Bleakley, Miss M. Raven, Master J. Raven (grandchildren, Mrs. Collier, Mrs. J. Horsfield, Mr. Horsfield, Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Boothby, Mr. and Mrs. J. Lomas, Mr. and Mrs. West, Mrs. Powell.  Bearers were Messrs. J. Lomas, W. Nadin, J. Horsfield, J. Salt.  There were floral tributes from: Jim and Sophia; Maggie and Harry; sister Lizzie and family; all the grandchildren; sister Hannah Mary and nephews and nieces; Lily, Mary, Osmond and Allan; sister Annie, Jim and Florrie; Hannah, Jim and family; brother Jim, Mary and family; all at Goyt Vale; Cissie, Allan and family; all at Folds Farm; Jack, Martha and children; Mrs. Lupton and Annie; society of Fernilee Wesleyan Chapel; Mr. and Mrs F. Bagshaw, George and Fred; Mr. and Mrs. Jodrell and Vera; Mr. and Mrs. Hill; niece and nephew (Mary and Fred); David and Annie (nephew and niece); Jim and Jessie. – Messrs. Collier Bros. satisfactorily carried out the funeral arrangements. 


Married 20th August 1921 at Wesleyan church, Chapel-en-le-Frith

A good deal of pleasant excitement was caused by a wedding which took place at the Wesleyan Chapel on Saturday. The parties to the contract were Miss Elsie Hulme, youngest daughter of Mr. James Hulme, Botany House, Whaley Bridge, and Mr John Wright, son of the late Mr. J. W. Wright, of Woodside, Newtown, New Mills.  Given away by her father, the bride was prettily attired in a dress of pale blue crepe de chine, and a hat of white georgette. She carried a bouquet of sweet peas and roses. The bridesmaids were Misses Eva and May Wright, sisters of the bridegroom, who wore white voile dresses and white hats.  Each wore a gold brooch, the gift of the bridegroom. Also in attendance on the bride were her nieces May and Marjorie Jowle.  They were attired in white voile dresses and white hats and carried dainty baskets of flowers. The best man was Mr. Robert Wright, brother of the bridegroom, and the groomsman Mr. Percy Hulme, brother of the bride.  Rev. W. Jessop Winter was the officiating minister. Festivities were held at Botany house, where a large number of guests were entertained.  Mr. and Mrs. Wright were the recipients of many presents. The bride’s present to the bridegroom was a gold signet ring, and the bridegroom’s present to the bride a gold keeper ring.


FUNERAL OF MR HULME who died 24th June 1937

The interment of Mr. James Hulme of Botany House, whose death has been noticed, took place on Saturday at Fernilee Methodist burial ground. Rev. J. Saunderson, Methodist minister. Mourners were: Mrs. Hulme (widow), Mr. Fred Hulme, Mr. Percy Hulme, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Joule, Mr. and Mrs. W. Hulme, Mr. and Mrs. G. Hulme, Mr. and Mrs. H. Jodrell, Mr. and Mrs. J. Wright (sons and daughters), Miss May Joule, Miss Marjorie Joule (grand-daughters), Mr. A. Horrobin, Miss M. Horrobin (sisters in law), Mr. W. Hulme, Mr. J. Hulme, Mrs. Phillips, Mrs. S. J. Joule, Mrs. F. Joule, Mrs. J. Joule, Mrs. J. Joule, Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Worth (nephews and nieces), Mr. Richardson, Mr. E. Wheatley, F. Hulme, W. Bellfield, Col. Hall, D.S.O., J.P., and Mr. James Hague, of Botany Bleachworks, were at the church. There were floral tributes from:  Mother, Fred, Percy and Annie; Louie and Will; Dorothy, George and children; Edith, Barry and ???; Elsie, John and family; Nellie, George, May and Marjorie; staff and employees of Messrs. Edward Hall and Bro., Ltd, ; members of the Methodist Class; Will and Annie (Wood Nook); Jack and Annie (nephew and niece); Bob, Alice and family; Mrs. S. J. Joule, Gwen and Joe; Ada, Fred and Elsie; Miriam and Edgar; Ethel, Harold and May; Mr. and Mrs. F. Hulme and family; Mr. and Mrs. Worth, Florance and May; Mr. and Mrs. J. Lardner; Mr. T. W. Shatwell; Sam, Alice and children; Ethel (Mrs. Hague); Mrs. Wyld and Evelyn; Miss L. Wild; Mr. and Mrs. Bellfield (Buxton); a friend. Messrs. Collier Bros, were the undertakers. Relatives and friends of Mr. Hulme were present at the service held in Fernilee Methodist Church on Sunday afternoon. Rev. John Saunderson, the preacher, paid tribute to Mr. Hulme. One of Mr. Hulme’s favourite hymns “Hiding in Thee,” was sung, and Mr. Ernest Hall was at the organ.


Buxton Newspaper  Sat 14th Oct 1905






A shocking affair occurred at Horwich End, Whaley Bridge, on Thursday, three men became buried alive.

Many years ago a colliery at Horwich End close to Buxton Road, was abandoned and the entrance to the workings was filled up with ashes.  Indeed, the place was used as a public tip and quite a hill of ashes had accumulated.  Several weeks ago Mr. John Walker, a collier of considerable experience, with others began excavations with a view to finding the entrance to the abandoned colliery workings. On Thursday while engaged in watching this effort to find the tunnel or drift, the earth collapsed and three men were buried alive.

The men who lost their lives were not local workmen, but visitors, one being a brother and another the nephew of Mr. Walker, their names are:--

Richard Walker, aged about 50; Samuel Walker, about 20, his son; and Harry Woolley, about 17.

The three men were colliers at the Gisborne Pit and resided at the Bings, Whaley Bridge. They were keeping holiday on Thursday and it occurred to them during the afternoon that they would go and see how the new venture was progressing.  They were standing on the spot, at the foot of the hill of ashes.  And the workmen were emptying their wheelbarrows a short distance away when the entire heap came down with a crash and instantaneously buried all three men alive.

When the workmen turned around they were horrified to see that the three men had disappeared, and that another young man named John Walker, a nephew was buried with the exception of his head.  The latter was soon rescued.

The alarm was given and a large number of men set to work to dig the men out, but a long time elapsed before the men were extricated.  At last the rescuers came on all the three men standing upright but quite dead.  The bodies were removed to the White Horse Inn.

The tragic affair cast quite a gloom over the district.

Last evening Mr. Sydney Taylor opened the inquest, but after evidence of identification had been given an adjournment was made until next week.


Buxton Newspaper Wed 18th Oct 1905









On Thursday afternoon of last week an accident which has not had its parallel in this district, occurred at Whaley Bridge, resulting in the death of three men.  Many years ago a coal mine was worked near Buxton Road, Horwich End, and when it was abandoned the mouth of the tunnel was filled up with ashes and the site was used as a public tip.  For some weeks past Mr. John Walker, of Whaley Bridge, and several men in his employ, had been engaged in removing the ashes, and on the day named they were visited by three men – Richard Walker and Samuel Moseley Walker (father and son) and Harry Woolley.  When the men were standing at the foot of the tip, which consisted literally of a mountain of ashes, the whole mass fell and buried them.  A youth named John Walker was buried up to the waist but was extricated.  A number of men set to work to find the men, and after two hours digging came upon the dead bodies of the two Walkers, standing upright, and half an hour later came upon the body of Woolley.  He was, of course, quite dead.  They were removed to the White Horse Hotel, where the inquest was opened on Friday evening by Mr. S Taylor.

It was stated that Richard Walker was 53 years of age, his son 19 and Harry Wooley 18 years of age.

Mrs. Walker, widow of Richard Walker and mother of Samuel Walker, completely collapsed when giving evidence of identification, and the scene was most painful.  Mrs. Woolley was also much affected.

The coroner adjourned the inquiry in order to give the Inspector of Mines an opportunity of being present.


The funeral of the victims of the terrible disaster took place on Monday at the Fernilee Wesleyan Chapel, and proved to be one of the saddest sights ever witnessed in the locality.  Everybody seemed to be given up to mourning, and the blinds of almost every house were lowered.  A large crowd, numbering several hundreds of people, assembled at Bings Knowle, where the three deceased men resided, and the route was lined with sympathetic spectators.  Hundreds of people also followed the cortege up to the little cemetery at Fernilee, about two miles distant, and so great was the crowd that the Chapel doors had to be kept closed until the mourners had entered.  The funeral procession was a very long one. At the head were over sixty colliers from the Gisborne Pit, amongst whom were Mr. Wesley Harvey (undermanager), Messrs J Oscroft, Geo Rhodes, F Stones, J Wain, J Turner, Geo Morris, H Jodrell, B Hill, F Ford. Next came the hearse containing the remains of Mr. Walker snr. and alongside it were Messrs J M Kinder, C Turnock, T Wild, J Knowles, E Shatwell, Geo Pearce (acting as bearers and also representing the Spring Bank Chapel, of which deceased was a prominent member).  Immediately following was the hearse with the remains of the younger Walker, and walking by the side were Messrs Leonard Kinder, R Clayton, J Barnes, R Walker, John Walker and Robert Ward (bearers and representing Spring Bank Sunday School).  Then came four coaches in which were the mourners for the two Walkers as follows.

1st coach:  Mrs. Walker, Misses Mary, Ann, Jane and Harriett Walker.  Messrs Richard and Joe Walker and Mrs. Moseley.

2nd coach:  Mr. and Mrs. Walter Walker, Mr. and Mrs. Shatwell, Mr. and Mrs. Mathew Barber.

3rd coach:  Mr. and Mrs. John Walker, Mrs. Hill, Mr. and Mrs. Dawson, Mr. Tom Moseley.

4th coach:  Mr. and Mrs. John Goddard, Mr. and Mrs. A Goddard, Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. W Southern, Mrs. Wild.

Following the coaches were a large number of friends from the Spring Bank Chapel and other institutions, including Messrs John Trickett (superintendant), John Barnes, Mr. and Mrs. Wm Jones, Mr. Jos Potts (representing the Whaley Bridge Cricket Club to which Mr. Walker snr. had been groundsman for many years).  And Mr. J Wesley Lomas (Sons of Temperance of which Mr. Walker jun. was a member).

The funeral of Mr. Harry Woolley followed, and by the side of the hearse were Messrs Edward Bennett, W Bennett, J R Bennett, and W Mycock (cousins of the deceased, and acting as bearers).  The mourners in the coaches were Mrs. Woolley, Messrs Arthur, Raymond, Charles, Samuel and Fred Woolley, Miss Bertha Woolley, Mrs. Raymond Woolley, Mrs. Samuel Woolley, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Woolley, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bennett, Mr. and Mrs. Wilmot, Mr. C Fountain, Misses Fountain and Mr. and Mrs. Albert Taylor.

The service at Fernilee Wesleyan Chapel was of a very impressive character.  The coffin containing the remains of Mr. Walker snr. was placed on the right hand side of the rostrum, that containing the remains of Mr. Walker jun. on the left hand side and the coffin of Mr. Woolley in front.  The Chapel was quite filled.  Amongst the congregation was Captain Hall.

The Rev J H Palwyn (Wesleyan minister) delivered a most appropriate address.  He said he could not allow the occasion to pass without saying a few words to them although it was somewhat difficult to control ones feelings under the sad and painful circumstances which brought them together.  They were met under a cloud of great sorrow, and to pay their last respects to friends who were suddenly called away on Thursday.  One might almost call it a tragic death.  There was probably little idea of death in the men’s minds when the accident happened.  They were not working men. As he understood it, they were merely spectators of the work of re-opening of a disused coal pit; yet suddenly, without a moments warning – should he say by the will of God? – they were called into the presence of their Master, so that literally “In the midst of life we are in death.”  But their bodies were not being consigned to their last resting place, the grave, without hope.  The eldest of the three men whose mortal remains were before them, though not personally known to him (the speaker) was a Godly man, who only two days before his tragic death prayed at a meeting in connection with the little church with which he was identified, prayed only as a man who was accustomed to walk and talk with God could pray; he prayed until those that heard him were moved to tears.  Therefore to use an old Methodist expression, to such as he  “Sudden death is sudden glory.”  The bereaved families had their deepest sympathy, and, if it were necessary he would ask for the prayers of that congregation for the bereaved widow and mother, and also the widowed mother who had been bereaved of a son, and for all the members of the bereaved families that they might be comforted in this dark hour and under this heavy blow.  And let them make the occasion one of admonition to themselves.  Let them see the necessity of being prepared for death, for they knew  “not the day nor hour in which the Son of Man cometh.”  There was a good deal  of truth in what one had said, that all men thought others mortals excepting themselves, but there was no reason why death might not come as unexpected and suddenly to them as to others, and for some it might be even already at the door.  If they had not already done so he asked them to “seek the Lord while he may be found” ”to call upon Him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his ways, and the unrighteous man his thoughts, and let them turn unto the Lord and he will have mercy upon him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.”  He was hoping and trusting that the painful loss of their friends would in this way work for good.  He was quite sure a very deep impression had been made upon the minds of many in the neighbourhood of Whaley Bridge.  He heard of one case where a man who was on the scene of the accident, and who had helped to release the bodies, sat down by the fireside when he got home and said to his wife “Lass lass it’s best to be ready.”  Let that lesson be impressed upon the minds of each one of them.  He hoped the conviction would be wrought on the minds of many who were present.  He would like to invite them to concentrate their hearts to God that day and to resolve that they would live for Him “Let your loins be girded” was the Saviour’s message. “And ye are like unto men that wait for your Lord”  If this terrible visitation drew out their hearts to God and to righteousness, and to a resolve to live for Heaven, their brothers had not laid down their lives in vain.

The coffins were then borne out of the chapel and interred, amid many manifestations of sorrow.  It was a most pathetic site as there was scarcely a dry eye in the big crowd that had assembled. Mr. Powlyn conducted the last sad rites.