1912 Kelly`s Directory: Hayfield

with Birch Vale, Little Hayfield etc.

To list of names

HAYFIELD is a township & parish, formed in 1837 from that of Glossop and consisting of the hamlets of Great Hamlet, Phoside and Kinder, in the High Peak division of the county, Buxton and New Mills county court district, hundred of High Peak, petty sessional division of Chapel-en-le-Frith, Hayfield union, Glossop rural deanery, Chesterfield archdeaconry and Southwell diocese. Hayfield is a terminus for a branch line from New Mills on the Great Central Railway, 5 miles south from Glossop station, 4 north from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 18 from Manchester, 10 from Buxton, 3 from New Mills and 11 south-east from Stockport: the village built of stone, has a scattered and bleak appearance, and is about 622 feet above the sea-level, standing on the banks of the Sett, a rapid mountain stream which rises on the western slopes of the Peak.  The church of St Matthew, situated between the Kinder stream and the Phoside valley, was originally erected in 1386, and rebuilt in 1818 at a cost of £2,000, and is an edifice of stone in the early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: the tower was rebuilt in 1894, and in 1898 the chancel was enlarged and decorated at a cost of £80: there is a monument with bust by Bacon, to the late Joseph HAGUE esq. of Park Hall, d. 1786, and others to the Rev. John BADLEY, curate of Hayfield (1764), and to the Rev. George Buckley BOWER B.D. rector of Great Billing, Northants and archdeacon of Richmond, Yorks (1800): the stained east window was erected in Dec. 1879, by Mrs BENNETT, of Birch house, in memory of her husband; and there are others to the late Levi and Elijah HALL, Mrs HALL, of Moorlands, and the late Wright TURNER esq. (1881): the brass eagle lectern was presented in 1891 by the Rev. R.R. RICKETTS, incumbent 1877 - 1907, at a cost of £100, as a memorial to his wife, who died in 1890: the font, of Caen stone, is a memorial to Henry Clement Rain WALKER d. 1893, and was presented in 1899, by his father Thomas Rain WALKER esq. H.M. Consul at Honolulu, Sandwich Islands: a brass ewer has been given by Miss B.E.R. WALKER, and a new pulpit by C. BENNETT esq. at a cost of £100: the church affords 700 sittings, 50 being free: an additional burying ground of one acre was bought by a rate and consecrated in 1862: the Rev. John WESLEY visited Hayfield and preached in the church in 1755, during the incumbency of Mr BADLEY.  The register dates from the year 1622.  The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £180, in the gift of the resident freeholders, and held since 1907 by the Rev. William RICKABY, of St. Bees: a parsonage house was erected in 1864, at a cost of £1,200.  There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and United Methodist chapels, and Liberal and Conservative clubs.  The facilities for manufacture, owing to the abundance of water, are very considerable, and two extensive calico-printing works are carried on, besides the print works at Birch Vale, and a cotton mill at Little Hayfield; formerly a good deal of twine, locally known as "bant", was made here; twice a year a shepherds` meeting is held, when the various sheep marks are agreed upon and strayed sheep exchanged; fairs for cattle are held here May 12th and October 10th.  The charities amount to £23 yearly for clothing, chiefly by the gift of the late Joseph HAGUE esq. of Park Hall (1778); prior to 1820 the poor had a right of turfery on "Old Pits", a plot of 40 acres on Leygate Moor.  Due south of Hayfield lies Chinley Tor, a steep and rugged mountain, 1,493 feet high, commanding fine views over the valley of the Goyt and the adjacent summit of Eccles Pike (1, 225 feet) southwards; to the west lie Whaley Moor (1,347 feet) and Sponds Hill (1,357 feet); northwards there is an extensive prospect over Disley, Poynton Park and the plains of Cheshire: this district is believed to have been at one time in Roman occupation, and some coins of the 8th century have been found on the Doctor`s road, near Bowden Bridge, one part of which road was paved: previously to 1830, the flat piece of ground near the Kinder Print Works was common land, and known as "Cutlers` Green", cutlery having, it is said, been made here before its manufacture was known in Sheffield; halfway between this spot and Hayfield is the Whitworth well, famous for its curative properties.  The village, from its peculiar situation, has always been liable to floods, one of which, in 1748, destroyed some lives, several water mills and part of the churchyard; in August 1799, the bridge was washed away, and in 1809 a number of buildings; again on the 16th June 1858 the torrent tore up the mill weir and carried away the backs of four houses abutting on the stream.  By an ancient custom Hayfield had the privilege of electing a mayor, an office which the late John HOBSON esq. filled for thirty years: Joseph BOWDEN esq. was elected mayor of Hayfield in 1844.  Park Hall, 1 mile north from Hayfield, an ancient building of white brick, surrounded by a park of considerable extent, now the residence of Samuel HILL-WOOD esq. M.P. was formerly the abode of the late Joseph HAGUE, a generous benefactor to this neighbourhood, who began life by selling small items from a basket, and subsequently went to London, where in course of time he became an opulent merchant; he died at Park Hall on the 12th March 1786, and was buried at Glossop.  The Duke of Devonshire P.C. is lord of the manor; Francis J SUMNER esq. of Eathorpe Park, Leamington, Warwick, and James WATTS esq. of Abney Hall, Cheadle, are the principal landowners.  The area of the civil parish is 7,901 acres of land and 19 of water; rateable value, £15,266; the population of the township of Hayfield in 1901 was 2,614.

Highgate Head and Oaklands are places in the parish.

Verger, Ernest RANGELAY (sic)

Post, M.O. & T. Office - Arthur Howard LOWE, sub-postmaster.  Letters are received through Stockport & delivered at 7.15 a.m. & 3.40 p.m.; Sundays 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 8.15. & 10.45 a.m. & 3.10 & 7.30 p.m.; Sundays 7.30p.m.


The parishes in the District are: Hayfield, Mellor & Newtown.  The area is 10,282 acres; the population in 1911 was 5,170.  Council meets at Low Leighton, monthly. 

Chairman, Basil MACKENZIE, Tomstead, Hayfield.

Officials: Clerk, Joseph Rose BOWDEN, High Street, New Mills

Treasurer, Isaac J. GIBBS Manchester & County Bank, New Mills

Medical Officer of Health, Charles John BENNETT M.R.C.S. eng. 24 Hardwick Street, Buxton

Surveyors, Alfred GODDARD, Holm Lea, Hayfield & Joseph MARSLAND, Mellor

Sanitary Inspector, Joseph MARSLAND, Mellor


Board day, Monday, fortnightly

Hayfield Union comprises the following places:- Disley (Cheshire), Hayfield, Mellor, New Mills and Newtown.  The area of the Union is 17,952 acres; rateable value, Lady Day, 1912, of the Derbyshire parishes, £62,335; the population of the entire union in 1911 was 17,127

Chairman of the Board of Guardians, William WHITEHEAD, Church Street, Hayfield

Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Arthur WALKER, 8, Market Street, New Mills

Treasurer, Isaac J. GIBBS, Manchester & County Bank, New Mills

Relieving & Vaccination Officer, Jas. TAYLOR, Newtown

Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, James Edwin ANDERTON L.R.C.P. Edin., M.R.C.S. Eng., Spring Bank, New Mills

Workhouse, Low Leighton, a building of stone built in 1840, to hold 96 inmates, & enlarged at a cost of £6,460; Richard REYNOLDS, master; J.E. ANDERTON L.R.C.P. Edin. New Mills, medical officer; Mrs B.E. REYNOLDS, matron


Superintendent Registrar, Arthur WALKER, 8, Market Street, New Mills

Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, William WILD, New Mills; deputy, A. GRUNDEY, New Mills


Public Elementary (mixed & infants), built in 1888 & enlarged in 1900, for 250 children; average attendance, 230; Arnold WALKER master

Public Elementary (mixed & infants), erected in 1830 & enlarged in 1879, for 220 children; average attendance 190; Arthur HALLWORTH, master

Railway Station, William PROCTER, station master

BIRCH VALE is a village, 2 miles east from New Mills, 1 mile west from Hayfield, with a station on the Great Central and Midland railways: calico printing is carried on here very extensively, and there are also quarries producing paving sets and wall stones, besides coal pits.  Here is a United Methodist Chapel.

Post, M.O. & T. Office. - Arthur HIRST, sub-postmaster.  Letters through Stockport arrive at 6.40 a.m. and 3.15. p.m. and are dispatched thereto at 9 a.m. & 3.15 & 7.15. p.m.; Sunday 7.30. p.m.

Wall Letter Box, Oven Hill, cleared at 8.30 a.m. & 7 p.m.; Sunday 8.30. a.m.

Railway Station, George Berkley GINN, station master

LITTLE HAYFIELD is a hamlet three-quarters of a mile north of Hayfield, with a cotton mill, color & pigment works, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1851; there are sittings for 200 persons, 70 being free.

Post Office - Samuel HURST, sub-postmaster. Letters delivered through Stockport at 6.55 a.m. & 7 p.m.; box cleared 9 a.m. & 7 p.m.; Sundays 8.15. a.m.  Hayfield 1 mile distant is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Wall Letter Box, cleared at 9 a.m. & 7 p.m.; Sundays 7.45. p.m.

Wall Letter Box, at Kinder Bridge, cleared at 9.45. a.m. & 4.45. p.m.



ARBLASTER Charles A., L.R.C.P. Edin

BARBER Arthur, Manchester & County Bank

BBENNETT Bertram Marriott M.B.

BENNETT John, Holly House

BOWDEN Walter, Swallow Houses

DOWSON Edgar Enfield, Woodhouse

GODDARD Miss, The Mount

HADFIELD James, Swallow House


LEECH Robert, Spring Villas

MARSHALL Miss, Ridge View

MELLOR John, Mount Villas (Letters via Birch Vale, Stockport

PEEL William, Netherend Villas

RICKABY Rev. William, Parsonage

SHAND Thomas, Hazel House

SLACK Norman, Oaklands

WALSH John, Fishers Lodge

WALKER Arnold, Fair View

WILKS Mrs., Shudehill House


ALLCROFT Thomas, George Hotel

ARBLASTER Charles A., L.R.C.P. & L.R.O.S. Edin, Surgeon

BARBER Arthur, manager of the Manchester & County Bank

BARBER Henry, monumental mason

BARBER Robert, grocer, Station Road

BENNETT Bertram Marriott M.B.Ch.B. Vict. physician & surgeon

BENNETT James, farmer Meadow Farm

BENNETT Robert, blacksmith

BOWDEN Maria (Miss), draper

BOWDEN Samuel, clerk to the Parish Council & assistant overseer

BOWDEN Walter, land steward to F. J. SUMNER esq., Swallow Houses

BOX Robert, Royal Hotel

BRADBURY Mary (Mrs), greengrocer, Church Street

BRENNAND Herbert, confectioner

BRENNAND William, baker & confectioner

BROCKLEHURST John, drug store

BROWN Joseph, farmer

BUTLER George, butcher, Church Street

CHARNOCK Thomas, beer retailer

CHATTERTON John Thos, draper, High Street

CLOSE John Thomas, Pack Horse Inn

Conservative Club (Wm. EYRE, sec.)

COOPER Charles, farmer, Cote Lane

COOPER Peter, butcher

Co-operative Stores (Charles ELLIOTT, manager)

DIGBY Betsy (Mrs), Toll Bar Inn

FARROW Alfd, chip potato dealer, Church St.

FARROW Arthur, fruiterer

FRANCE Joseph, shopkeeper

FIDLER Fred, grocer

GARSIDE Luke, stationer & tobacconist

GARSIDE Mary Jane (Mrs), confectioner

GEE Joseph, joiner

GODDARD Alfred, tax collector & surveyor to Hayfield Rural District Council

GREEN Thomas, confectioner

GREENWOOD Thomas, butcher

HADFIELD Benj., slater & plasterer

HADFIELD Joel, builder & contractor, see Mason & Hadfield

HADFIELD Joel, ironmonger

Hayfield Coal Co., (John BROCKLEHURST sec.)

Hayfield Cricket Club (Norman HANDFORD sec.)

Hayfield Gas Works (William WHITEHEAD sec.)

Hayfield Printing Co. (branch of the Calico Printers Association Ltd.) (Edgar Enfield DOWSON, manager)

HILL Walter, apartments

HOBSON Percy, coal mer. Station yard

HOLLAND Lorenzo, Bulls Head P.H.

HUDSON Elizh. Hannah (Mrs), confectioner

HUDSON John Charles, draper

KNIGHT Thomas, beer retailer

LARGE William H., refreshment rooms

LATHAMS Ltd., grocers, Church St.

LEE Prudence, shopkeeper

LEEMING William Alfred, butcher

Liberal Club (Wilfred LEECH sec.)

LIVESLEY, Alfred & Sons, pharmaceutical chemists

LODGE John, stone merchant, Birches quarry (letters via Birch Vale, Stockport)

LOMAX Mary (Mrs), beer retailer, Railway Inn

LOWE Arth. Howard, stationer, Post Office

LOWE Kate (Mrs), stationer, Bridge End

Manchester & County Bank Ltd. (branch) (Arthur BARBER, manager) (open daily from 10 a.m. to 3p.m.; Sat. 10.a.m. to 12 noon); draw on Union of London & Smiths Bank Ltd., London E.C.)

MARRIOTT Elizabeth (Mrs), grocer

MARSHALL Hannah & Martha Ann (Misses), dress makers

MASON & HADFIELD, builders & contractors

MELLOR Danl, insurance agent, Church St.

MOSELEY John Edward, boot maker

PACK William, shopkeeper

PARSGTONE John, farmer

PORRITT Albert, farmer

PORRITT James C., butcher

PORRITT Ralph, carpenter

PORRITT William, draper

PORTER David, farmer, Shudehill

PRICEMAN Harry, outfitter

RANGELEY Ernest, boot maker

REDFERN Jane (Miss), midwife

ROBERTS Walter, Wood Inn

ROSE John, farmer, Shudehill

SEDDON Herbert & Co., outfitters

SCHOFIELD Joseph, tinplate worker

SHEPLEY James, coal & coke merchant, Station yard

SHEPLEY Jas., painter & apartments

SHEPLEY James, cab proprietor

SLACK John, paper manufacturer, Bank Vale Mills

SMITH Thomas, grocer & draper

SWINDELLS Henry, boot maker

TORKINGTON John, farmer

TORKINGTON John jun., pork butcher

TURNER Elizabeth (Miss), fruiterer

TURNER George, cooper

WADDINGTON Fred & Son, hair dressers, High St.

WARRINGTON Arthur, grocer

WATERHOUSE Eliza (Miss), shopkeeper

WATERHOUSE Rebecca (Miss), aparts

WHITEHEAD William, confectioner

WILSON William, wheelwright



BOWDEN Tom, Little Hayfield House

HILL-WOOD, Samuel M.P. Park Hall; & Bachelors` Club W & Carlton & Junior Carlton clubs S.W. London


ASHTON Alice (Mrs), beer retailer

ASKHAM Walter, farmer, Cliffe Bank

BAYLEY George Herbert, farmer, Carr Meadow

BENNETT John & Co., pigment & color manufacturers, Primrose Vale

Co-operative Stores Ltd., (Joseph MARSHALL, manager)

ETCHELLS Israel Smith, farmer, Spray House

HADFIELD Randal, farmer, Brown Hill Farm

HALLAM Edgar Montague, farmer, Highbarn

HEARSUM John, farmer, Bankvale

HIBBERT Thomas, farmer, Brookhouse

HOBSON James, farmer, Ivy Farm

HURST Samuel, grocer & post office

KOEBER Lewis, farmer, Matley Moor

LOMAS Luke, farmer, BlackshawMARRIOTT Francis, farmer

PLATT Edward Ltd., cotton manufacturers (E. OSBALDESTON, manager)

ROSE Jonathan, farmer, Bullsham (sic) Farm

SCHOLES Albert, New Inn

SIMPSON Joseph, farmer, Lanehead



DOWNS, John, Rock Hall

SHIPLEY Wilfred, Jubilee House

SUTCLIFFE, Samuel, Stones House

WATTS James, Upper House


BARNES Samuel, gamekeeper to James Watts esq.

BENNETT Thomas Edward, farmer, Tunsted Clough

BRADBURY Edmd., farmer, Coldwell Clough

BRADBURY Thomas E., farmer, South Head

DOWNS Wm., stone dealer, Rock Hall

GEE John Thomas, farmer, Ashes

HALL Joseph, stone dealer

HANCOCK John & Sons, grocerS

MARRIOTT John Thos., farmer, Upper House

RIPLEY Jas., farmer, Hill House Farm

Stockport Corporation Water Supply Co. (Basil MACKENZIE, manager)

WILD Alfd., Sportsman`s Arms Hotel

WINTER Tom, stone merchant, Ellerbank



GOULD Norman, Phoside View

BALSFORD Joseph, farmer, New house

BARNES Arthur, farmer, Far Phoside

BENNETT James, farmer, Ridge Top Lane

BROCKLEHURST Martha (Mrs), farmer

BROCKLEHURST Squire, farmer, Little Ridge

COOPER James, farmer, Chinley Head

COOPER John, farmer, Highgate Head

HADFIELD Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer

HUDSON Joseph, farmer, Clough Head

JEPSON Charles, farmer, Ridge Top

MORTON John, farmer, Heys

PICKFORD Thomas, farmer, Hills Farm

PORRITT Albert, carpenter & farmer

PORRITT Ralph, farmer, Highgate




BENNETT Joseph, Westwood

BENNETT Mrs., Birch Vale House

BINDLOSS Frank, Meadow Nook

EASTWOOD, George Henry, Netherhey

GRAY John Ernest, Netherhey

HALL Misses, Moorland House

OLDHAM Robert, Spring Villas

STURGEON Samuel, Sunnyside

WINTER Tom, Spring Villas 


ASHTON, Isaac, farmer, Ravensleach

BARKER Thomas B., Birch Hall Inn

BROWN John, boot repairer

Calico (The) Printers Association Ltd., calico printers

CHAPMAN Wm., L.R.C.P. & S. Edin. L.F.P. & S. Glas. surgeon


CLAYTON James, Grouse Inn

DODD Joseph, butcher

HALL Charles, greengrocer

HIBBERT Geo. Hy., farmer, Lower Cliffe

HIRST Arthur, grocer, Post Office

HUDSON Lavinia (Mrs), shopkeeper

HUDSON Norman, builders` merchant

JOHNSON Levi, farmer, Highwalls

LOWE John & Son, coal merchants

MELLOR Thomas, joiner

New Mills Co-operative Societly Ltd. (George Arthur RATCLIFFE, manager)

NEWTON John, greengrocer

RICHARDSON Joseph, shopkeeper

SIDEBOTTOM Jsph., farmer, Coldharbour

SKILBECK John, farmer, Hext Farm

WALTON James, Sycamore Inn

WARDLE James, farmer, Birch Hall